Sunday, May 12, 2013

One Scary Day

Last week Elyse came down with a mysterious fever. All of the boys had had the same thing happen. They ran a fever for a short amount of time, then it went away and they got better within a day. When the same thing happened to Elyse I thought it was just the bug the boys had all had. Her fever would come and go and did this for three days when I decided to call her doctor. Her fever was never really high, but I just wanted to check things out because she is so young.  We go into the dr the next day, on Friday. I had the a/c on in the back of my car, so there was no explanation other than fever as to why she was so warm. I took her out of her car seat to go up to the office because she's getting heavy in that thing!! She felt extremely warm to the touch and her face was red.  She hadn't been crying or anything, she was asleep. We get called back by the nurse and she weighs Elyse, and she was 9 lbs 9 oz. She took her temp and it was 104!!! Her Dr. was standing right there and said you need to get her to Summerlin Hospital immediately!! We went into the examining room, and I was crying my eyes out! Dr. Mendoza checked her out quickly to see if it was her ears or throat causing the fever, but they were fine. We left as he called the hospital to let us know we were on our way. I called my family to let them know that Elyse was sick and we were on our way to the hospital. I cried the whole drive, sometimes having difficulty seeing through my tears!! We get to the hospital and were taken back to the pediatric E.R. immediately where they started testing as soon as we got in. They gave her a big dose of tylenol, drew her blood, started an I.V., put a catheder in and got some urine (it was cloudy), then, worst of all, they did a spinal tap! They did a quick urine test and determined that it was a UTI and informed me that she had to be on IV antibiotics for seven days. SEVEN DAYS in the hospital!! They started antibiotics and she was admitted. I cried so hard that day!! Her uncle Chris and uncle Nathan gave her a wonderful blessing that I cried through. I cried so much that my head throbbed! We spent the next seven days in the pediatric unit. Our first night, Elyse didn't sleep a wink and she pulled out her first IV. They replaced her IV and she slept for an hour, in bed with me... I hate sleeping with infants! I was so scared I was going to smother her... Our time there was pretty uneventful. Just IV antibiotics, a lot of napping, and sitting around. I did go to target on our third day. I had one pair of jeans that Elyse had pooped on. I was gone an hour...  On the day we were getting released the pediatrician came in and said they were going to inject dye into her bladder to see if they were backing into her kidneys because an earlier ultrasound showed that her kidneys were swollen. We got wheeled down to radiology where they did the test. It came back that her bladder was backing up into her kidneys. On a scale of 1-4 of severity she was at a 2. So, she is on antibiotics, once a day to prevent infections. We have to go see a kidney specialist. Should be fun.... My hopes are that it will just correct itself with time, but if not, we're looking at surgery. Thank heavens we know what's going on and can be proactive. It breaks my heart to have my eight week old go through this crap, but luckily, she wont
remember any of it.

No comments: