Monday, August 25, 2008

Our little adventure!!!

So, yesterday morning Alex was playing in my purse and, naturally, I didn't really think anything of it until he brought me an open bottle of adult extra strength tylenol. I only found four tylenol and knew that i'd only taken two, so there were four unaccounted for. I freaked out and called poison control and they had said that if he'd taken four pills that was enough to cause liver failure and I needed to take him to the hospital and they would give him a medication to counteract the acedaminophen and keep it from being absorbed. So, we drive to mesquite, in my little suv at 110 mph. I'm scared to death that we're going to kill ourselves on the way there (obviosly i was not driving) We get there and the nurse was very stern with me because they need every detail to be exact to your knowledge, and me already being freaked out and hormonal, started crying. They take his blood to see how much tylenol is in his system then tell me that if they are at toxic levels they would give him the medacine to counteract it, then send him to a childs hospital. We had to sit there in a hospital room with our 18 month old for four more hours so they could do a second test to make sure the levels didnt go up. The good news was, he didn't take a bunch of tylenol, the bad news was, we spent the entire day in the hospital. Alex, though, was surprisingly, very very good. He didn't fuss or complain once (excecpt for when they took his blood and tried to give him an i.v., but I think that I cried harder than he did!) Oh, what an adventure that was, hopefully we never have to go through that again!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

holy cow thats scary im so glad that he is ok.